If you are new to the designing world, then getting confused about the difference between web designing vs Graphic designing is normal. And you can’t blame yourself for that because both look the same. Many other newcomers like you are confused about this difference.
Web designing and Graphic Designing may seem like they are basically the same job. However, there are some important differences between both. Both web design and graphic design demand a good knowledge of graphics, typography, and the principles of design.
But in the end, Graphic design and web design are different pursuits with different fields of expertise.
Before we discuss the main difference between web designing and Graphic designing, let’s try to understand both with the help of their definitions first.
What Is Web Design?
Web designing is the means of outlining, imagining, and managing content online. Moreover, Web design also involves user interface, web apps, and mobile app design. A web designer can give life to a brand-new website or modernize an already existing website. If you are on a budget you should consider Hostinger’s website builder to create a new website hassle-free. This includes 24/7 customer support, eCommerce features, a free domain, and an email.
Moreover, they can also greatly influence your performance in search engines.
As you continue reading this blog, you will find some helpful insight into what salary a beginner can expect and why web designing is demanding.
Examples of web designing
- Media queries.
- Fluid grids.
- Flexible visuals.
- Magic Leap.
Tools used by Web Designing
Web designing involves using a variety of tools, including:
- Web designers develop the images and graphics that are utilized in the layout of websites using graphic design applications such as Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, and GIMP.
- Tools for prototyping and wireframing: To help visualize the website’s layout and design, prototypes and wireframes are made using programs like Adobe XD, Figma, and Sketch.
- Version control systems: Web designers utilize version control systems like Git and SVN to work with other team members and manage changes to the website’s code.
- Web hosting services: To host and publish websites on the internet, web designers use web hosting services like Amazon Web Services, Bluehost, and GoDaddy.
What Is Graphic Design?
Graphic designing is defined as the art and practice of planning and projecting ideas with visual and textual content. In different words, graphic design visually gives specific ideas or messages. These visuals can be a business logo or as tricky as page layouts on a website.
Examples of graphic design
- Postcards and flyers.
- Infographics to Professional PowerPoint templates
- Magazine and newspaper ads.
- Email marketing templates.
- Posters, banners, and billboards.
- Brochures (print and digital)
- Signage and trade show displays.
- Vehicle wraps.
Tools used by Graphic Designing
Graphic designers use a variety of tools to create visual designs, including:
- With graphic design software, designers can produce and modify photographs, graphics, and other visual content. Popular programs include Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign.
- Tools for managing color: To guarantee color accuracy and consistency across many platforms and devices, solutions for managing color include ColorMunki and X-Rite i1 Display Pro.
- Tools for managing fonts: Fonts are a crucial component of visual design, and font management software like FontExplorer X and Suitcase Fusion is used to arrange and control vast font collections.
- Digital drawing tablets: Graphic designers may produce digital illustrations and designs with accuracy and control by using drawing tablets like the Wacom Intuos and Huion H610 Pro.
- Animation and 3D modeling programs: The 3D models, animations, and special effects that graphic designers produce are made with the help of programs like Autodesk Maya, Cinema 4D, and Blender.
- Project management software, such as Asana, Trello is used by graphic designers to track and manage design projects, work with team members, and interact with clients.
- Library of stock photos and assets Graphic designers utilize websites like Shutterstock, Getty Images, and Adobe Stock to find high-quality pictures, graphics, and other visual elements for their projects.
Why Is Web Designing vs Graphic Designing Difference Important?
Several people have this confusion of web designing vs Graphic designing professions. If you are a beginner and have no idea about both professions, you must know the difference first before picking one for yourself.
Therefore, sometimes a web project will use a Graphic designer, thinking that they know things like a web designer. If you want to create eye-catchy images that describe your idea effectively and are not worried about how your final project will look on the web, then a Graphic Designer would be a better option.
Of course, it’s also important for those who are looking for a career path. Both fields use different skills, with Graphic Design focusing more on creative skills. Moreover, Web Design emphasizes programming and understanding of the web. However, there is quite a bit of overlap in both fields.
Web Designing vs Graphic Designing: Difference Table
|Web Designing||Graphic Designing|
|Web designers need to be familiar with CSS, HTML, etc||Graphic designers require Adobe Indesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, etc|
|Web designing is dynamic||Graphic designing is permanent|
|Web designing is Interactive||Graphic designing is static|
|Their core responsibility is to deliver a core message||Graphic designer’s core responsibility is to determine the brand’s image at large|
|Average salary $51,424/yr||Average salary $46,369/yr|
Web Design and Graphic Design: 5 Major Differences
Now that you have little idea of what web designing and graphic designing are in their own respects. Let’s take a look at their key differences:
1. Technical skills & Non-technical Skills
Web designers need to be familiar with CSS, HTML, etc. Whereas, graphic designers require Adobe Indesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, etc.
Web designing requires Creativity, Patience, Analytical skills, Communication skills, Excellent IT skills, etc. On the other hand, Graphic designing requires Creativity, Patience, strategy, problem-solving, etc.
2. Web Design is dynamic, and graphic design is permanent.
When a graphic designer designs a book cover, you can’t make any changes to it. That is why Graphic designing is permanent.
Web design, however, is dynamic. It has the flexibility to change and adapt. Every few years, a company might go through some changes to their website. Design trends evolve, and the business needs to remain relevant.
3. Web Design is interactive, and graphic design is static.
With web design, one can interact with the design with web designing. By clicking the button, you can navigate through different web pages. There may even be motion graphics on a webpage.
As compared to Web designing, Graphic designing is less interactive. You can see it, touch it, but it doesn’t change when you interact with it.
4. File size requirements
Pixels and DPI may come into play while creating a visual for the web. The size and pixel requirements for images on the web are quite exact, however the picture needs extra pixels to appear correctly when it is not on the web. To keep the website operating effectively, web design must focus on these technical constraints such loading time and file size.
5. Salary Expectations
The average web designer salary you would expect to make is $44,332 per annum. In entry-level graphic design positions, a graphic designer salary can be expected around $39,311 per year. While top graphic designers can earn up to $53,000 per year.
On the other hand, Web designers can earn significantly more than their graphic designers. The average salary for Web designers is $51,424 per annum. An entry-level web designer earns around $43,000. Top visual designers can expect to earn around $64,000 per year.
Which is better: Web designing vs Graphic Designing?
Both Web design and Graphic Design are in high demand, and both are giving pretty good salaries. But here the question is which is best after this long comparison? As you can see in the graph below, the blue line indicates Web designing, and the red line denotes Graphic designing.
As you can see, the demand for web designing was always high compared to graphic designing. It doesn’t mean you should go for Web designing. If you are looking forward to learning quickly, then graphic designing is the right choice for you.
To sum up, the significant difference between Web Designing vs Graphic Designing is that Web designing is the means of outlining, imagining, and managing content online.
On the other hand, Graphic design is defined as the art and practice of planning and projecting ideas with visual and textual content. Both Web Designing and Graphic Designing are high in demand and both are great when it comes to salary expectations.
Hope whatever we have discussed above is enough for you to understand the difference between Web Designing vs Graphic Designing. If you need more information regarding web designing assignment help and graphics designing assignment help you can contact our experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a graphic designer become a web designer?
Yes, but a graphic designer needs to master some of the key technical and non-technical skills required to become a web designer.
Which is better web designing vs graphic designing?
Graphic Design focuses more on creative skills, and Web Design features programming and knowledge of the web. Although there is quite a bit of overlap in both fields.
Who gets paid more Web designer or developer?
As compared to Graphic designers, Web designers get more paid. The average salary of Graphic designers is $46,369/yr, whereas the average salary of Graphic designers is $51,424/yr