The C programming language was released almost 50 years ago, and still, it is so popular among programmers. In 2019 it was ranked second because of its speed, and platform-independent features. This programming language is developed for the hardware to which you can directly interact, like kernels, drivers, and much more. C programming language is the basic foundation of the other programming language; therefore, it is called the ‘mother language’ of all other programming. Now you might be thinking like, what are the uses of C programming in real life? Well, this is what we are going to discuss in this blog.
In this blog, we have included all the essential information regarding c programming languages such as the C programming features and uses of C Programming in future to help you know how important this language is.
But, before we jump right into its uses let us see what exactly this programming language is.
What is C language?
C programming language is a middle-level language. It was developed at Bell’s research lab in 1972 by Dennis Ritchie. C programming language combines the features of a low-level and high-level language. Moreover, it is a high-level programming language that lets you create moveable applications and computer code.
For developing computer code systems, C is the best programming language. The total keywords used in the C language are 32. C programming language is the basic foundation for several other programming languages.
Key Features of C Programming Language:
- Procedural Language
- Quick and Effective
- Easy to Extend
- Statically Type
- Middle-Level Language
- low-level memory access
- Libraries with rich Functions
- General-Purpose Language
- Rich set of built in Operators
Uses of C Programming Language
The c programming language is a very simple language generally used by programmers worldwide. Originally, this language was applied for system development work, in precise, the programs that make-up the operating system. The advantage of the C programming language is that it generates code that works almost as fast as code written in assembly language. The uses of C programming can be summarized as follows:
- The c programming language is originally practiced for system programming. The portability, performance, the capacity to reach particular hardware addresses, and low runtime command on system addresses make it a good choice for executing operating systems and embedded system applications.
- It is universally accepted by compilers. Libraries, and interpreters of other languages often performed in C programming.
- There are various uses of c programming in electrical engineering also. It can use signal processing algorithms to know the features of microprocessors, microcontrollers, and other integrated circuit projects.
- C programming is sometimes utilized as an intermediary language for implementations of different languages because of portability and comfort reasons. Examples of compilers that use C language in this process are Gambit, BitC, the Glasgow Haskell Compiler, Vala, and Squeak.
- There are many uses of c programming in mechanical engineering. Different CAM and CAD software are to be controlled by engineers. Almost every project is created with CAD and CAM software has a vital role in the production processes.
- C programming is extensively utilized to implement end-user applications.
Advantages of C programming language
- Being a middle-level language, C connects the features of both low level and high-level languages. C language can be utilized for low-level programming, such as scripting for kernels and drivers. It also helps the use of high-level programming languages, such as scripting for application of software, etc.
- The c programming language is a structured language that provides a complicated program to be separated into more simplistic programs described as functions. It also enables data free movement over these functions.
- C programming languages have different features, that includes access to machine-level hardware APIs, the behavior of compilers of C, and dynamic memory allocation that make C language an excellent option for scripting applications and drivers of installed systems.
- This programming is case-sensitive, which means uppercase and lowercase letters are used separately.
- Uses of c programming are for scripting system applications, which form a significant part of Windows, Linux, UNIX operating systems.
- C language is a general-purpose language and can efficiently work on project applications, graphics, games, and applications needing calculations.
- It has a powerful library that provides several built-in functions. It also gives dynamic memory allocation.
What are the uses of C programming in daily life?
Mainly C programming is utilized for the Development of system software and Desktop application. Some C programming applications are given below.
- Operating Systems
UNIX was the first OS developed using a high-level programming language designed in the C programming language. Later on, Microsoft Windows and different Android applications were scripted in C language.
- GUI (Graphical User Interface)
Adobe Photoshop is one of the most popular photo editors since olden times. It was designed with the help of the C language only. Moreover, Illustrator and Adobe Premiere were also designed using C.
- Embedded Systems
C programming is known as the optimum option for scripting applications and drivers of embedded systems because it is closely associated with machine hardware.
Google chromium-browser and Google file system were developed with the help of C/C++. Moreover, the Google Open Source community has a huge number of projects being managed with the help of C/C++.
- Compiler Design
One of the common uses of the C programming language was the production of compilers. Compilers for many other languages were designed by keeping in mind the relationship of C with low-level languages, making it more comfortable to be understandable by the machine. Many popular compilers were created with the help of C such as Clang C, Bloodshed Dev-C, Apple C, and MINGW.
- Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
Because Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird were open-source email client projects. Therefore, they were written in C/C++.
- Gaming and Animation
Since the C language is comparatively faster than Python or Java, as it is compiler-based, it also gains its reputation in the gaming sector. Some of the most simple games are coded in C language, such as The Dino game, Tic-Tac-Toe, The Snake game, and many more. Improving advanced versions of graphics, Doom3, an fps horror game, was designed by id Software for Microsoft Windows using C in 2004.
MySQL is also an open-source project utilized in Database Management Systems. It was written in C/C++.
Why learn ‘C’ programming?
‘C’ programming is the basic foundation of the other programming languages. If you learn C programming now then later it will play an essential role while learning other programming languages. It gives the same ideas, such as control statements, operators, data types, and many more. ‘C’ programming can be utilized broadly in different applications. It is a simplistic language and gives quicker execution.
(Interest over time)
‘C’ is a structured language in which the program is separated into different modules. Every module can be addressed individually, and mutually. ‘C’ includes 32 keywords, various data types, and a set of important built-in functions that perform programming very effectively. Another ‘C’ programming feature is that it can spread itself. A ‘C’ program includes different functions that are sections of a library. You can combine your functions and features to the library.
You can obtain and utilize these functions anytime you need them in your program. This feature makes it easy while operating with complicated programming. Several compilers are accessible in the market that can be utilized for completing programs written in this language.
It is an extremely compact language, which means programs addressed in ‘C’ programming can run on different machines. This feature is necessary if you want to practice or execute the code on different computers.
Future of C Programming language
The modern reputation of the programming language like JAVA and C++ may have replaced C’s place in the programming world. But C programming is here to stay for a very long time. One principal factor after the defeat of C programming is that C++ has acquired most of its syntax from C programming but has included various new ideas that form the foundation of Object-Oriented programming.
It is important for one to know C in order to learn C++. However, many support the theory that one has to unlearn procedural programming practices to learn Object-Oriented programming. On the basis of C++ programming conditions, GUI is more famous for its integrity, but it practices a lot of disk space, and great memory is the disadvantage of that.
They use difficult class libraries and are not well satisfied with improving short programs that operate on smaller systems. C programming is a more reliable choice for programming device drivers, installed applications, and benefit programs.
We have included all the information regarding what are the uses of c programming in future and why it is so important. We have also included applications of c programming language for your better understanding. Because of its low-level capabilities, speed, and platform-independent features this language is developed for the hardware to which you can directly interact, like kernels, drivers, and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is C so popular?
The C programming language is so popular because it is known as the mother of all programming languages. You need to know the C language in order to learn some other languages. Moreover, it is one of those top five highly demanding programming languages.
What are the Real-World uses of C?
- Operating Systems
- Graphic User Interface (GUI) based applications
- Web Browsers
- Gaming and Animation
- Compiler Design
Is C still used in 2021?
Both C and C++ are the best programming languages to use in 2021 as they are still coming under the top 5 best programming list. So the answer is yes.