Java is both a programming language and a platform for developing applications. Sun Microsystems first published the Java language in 1995, and Oracle Corporation later took over, and programming languages like Java have become very popular in recent years. There are many IDEs for Java that provide intelligent code completion and real-time error checking. Many students want to know the best IDE for Java programming. Choosing the proper Java IDE is difficult because so many options are available.
Listed below are some of the best Java IDEs with their most popular features. You’ll find both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software on this list.
What is Java?
The Java programming language was designed to have fewer implementation dependencies as a general-purpose, class-based, object-oriented language. It is a platform for developing applications. Because of its speed, security, and reliability, Java is a great choice. Many Java applications are developed using this language in laptops, data centers, game consoles, scientific supercomputers, and cell phones.
And if we talk about Java platforms, it is a set of programs that help programmers create and run Java programming applications efficiently. In addition to the execution engine, a compiler and a variety of libraries are included.
Here Are The Best IDE for Java
This is the first best IDE for java. Eclipse is among the most popular Java IDEs available. It is a free, open-source platform with a large plugin ecosystem. In addition to a desktop edition, Eclipse offers a cloud edition that enables web browser coding. Because of its development tools, Eclipse is a top choice.
Developers can create new features using the Eclipse Marketplace, a collection of plugins available to download. Eclipse also offers a Plugin Development Environment for developers.
- It offers ready-made code templates.
- It automatically validates syntax for Java in this IDE for Windows.
- Using this tool, you can refactor your code. (A method for improving the internal structure of a program).
- Using Eclipse, you can remotely manage your project.
- There is a drag-and-drop facility in the software.
- Plugins allow Eclipse to perform additional tasks.
This is the second-best IDE for java IntelliJ is one of the best IDE for Java development, and IDE offers a variety of features that boost productivity without clogging the user interface. This software includes tools that simplify programming, like intelligent completion, cross-language refactoring, data flow analysis, and language injection.
There are two editions of IntelliJ: the open-source community edition and the proprietary ultimate edition. It focuses on Java Virtual Machine (JVM) development and Android development, and the paid premium edition focuses on web and corporate development. (squibler.io)
- The program analyzes the source code across all project files and languages.
- You can use the tool to generate a list of the most relevant symbols applicable to the current context.
- The device supports cross-language refactoring.
- This utility performs a real-time search for duplicate code snippets.
- Performing inspections and making quick repairs.
- IntelliJ IDEA offers an environment that is editor-centric.
- A static method or constant can be used easily with it.
- This version is paid and focuses on web and enterprise development.
This is the third-best IDE for java BlueJ is primarily used for software development but was created for educational content. Although BlueJ is the best IDE for Java beginners, many Java experts prefer BlueJ for its clutter-free user interface and interactive features.
A strong editor in BlueJ allows developers to visually scan their code and create dynamic objects while interacting with objects quickly. Among its unique features, BlueJ offers scope coloring, code pads, and object benches, which many other Java IDEs don’t. BlueJ is portable and compatible with many operating systems.
- The interface is smaller, simple, and portable.
- You can run Java objects in the background while you are running the program.
- This tool can be used without installing it.
Moreover, this version supports database and application server connectors, as well as Maven and Spring. The MyEclipse framework helps developers create powerful front-ends and back-ends.
- Provides syntax coloring.
- It enables you to set breakpoints.
- Provides a robust debugger.
- You can quickly run your code by opening a file.
- Use the browser to write code.
- Tomcat is included with this IDE Java software.
- There are many libraries and wizards in MyEclipse.
Software visualizations can be created automatically with jGRASP in the Java IDE. Because it is written in Java, it can run on all platforms with the JVM. A workbench, an integrated debugger, and class diagrams are all included in jGRASP. It allows for static visualization of software source code as well as dynamic visualization of data structures.
The application can even generate Control Structure Diagrams for languages like Python, C++, Objective-C, and Ada. It can be configured to run most commercial and free compilers for different programming languages.
- The tool provides a graphical debugger.
- Depending on the CSD structure, the source code can be folded easily.
- Syntax-based coloring is provided.
- There are icons and menus for compiling, running and debugging any program in jGRASP.
JCreator, created by Xerox Software, is another lightweight and best IDE for Java with a similar interface to Visual Studio. The software is offered in three different variants; Lite Edition, Pro Edition, and Life-Pro Edition. The most popular Java IDEs are written in Java, while JCreator is written entirely in C++. Additionally, it does not require a JRE to run Java code.
This particular reason encourages developers to choose JCreator over most conventional Java-based IDEs. JCreator’s paid version includes Ant support, code wizards, and a debugger. There are no advanced features in JCreator, unlike the leading Java IDEs. Furthermore, third-party plugins cannot be used for extensibility. On the other hand, it is fast and small, which makes it ideal for beginners.
- The indentation is automatically generated.
- Completion of words.
- Capabilities for formatting text.
- Commands for advanced editing.
- Selections from the comments.
The content of Greenfoot has been designed with an educational intent for students in high school and undergraduates. Java IDEs facilitate the creation of two-dimensional graphical applications, including simulations and interactive games.
Greenfoot is a free-to-use program developed and maintained by King’s College London with support from Oracle. The program uses animated graphics and sounds to motivate students. Greenfoot’s interactive environment illustrates class/object relationships, methods, object interaction, and parameters essential concepts in object-oriented programming.
- Interactive Visual Environment.
- Easy to use programming IDE.
- Authentic Java Code.
- Resources for Teachers.
- Resources for Programmers.
- Highlighting the scope.
- An improved navigation view.
- It has a built-in recorder.
- Support for MP3.
What makes a good Java IDE?
Integrated Development Environments, or IDEs, provide all the tools you need to write, debug, and test code. The use of an IDE enhances developer productivity by allowing them to work in a single environment. IDEs have a wide range of features, but their common elements are a text editor, build tools, and debugger.
The first step in deciding on a Java IDE is to determine the tools you require so that it has the necessary features. It doesn’t matter what your experience level is, there’s a Java IDE for you.
In this article, we have presented the best IDE for Java and its features in detail. We have also mentioned What is Python?
As we can see, there are plenty of IDE options available for Java developers, ranging from fully-featured popular software to free and open-source ones. The choice of the Java IDE depends on your current project and individual preference. Hopefully, by reading this blog, you have sufficient knowledge about the best IDE for Java programming.
Moreover, if you need any Java Programming Help, you can discuss your requirements with our experts anytime.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which free IDE is best for Java?
Which IDE is easiest to use?
Visual Studio. In terms of web development IDEs, Visual Studio is one of the most popular and best options available.
There is no doubt that IntelliJ IDEA is one of the best Java IDEs.