Perl is a high level interpreted, general-purpose and dynamic programming language. By Larry Wall it was developed in 1987. It was first developed for text processing. Like obtaining the necessary data from a designated text file and for changing the text file into a distinct form. Perl helps both Object-Oriented and procedural programming.
Perl is a lot alike to C syntactically. And is simple for the users who have knowledge of C, and C++ programming languages. Python is a widely used high-level, general-purpose programming language.
By Guido van Rossum it was originally created in 1991 and developed by Python Software Foundation. It was essentially developed for emphasis on code readability. And its syntax allows programmers to communicate concepts in some lines of code.
Due to its rich support and library. It has wide applications in Desktop Applications, Machine Learning, Web development, etc.
Features of Perl vs Python
- It involves important tools to process text to make it compatible. With mark-up languages like XML, HTML.
- Perl has simple Object-oriented programming syntax.
- It gives a regular expression engine that can convert any type of text.
- Several frameworks are written in Perl.
- It is a cross-platform language.
- Perl can manage encrypted web data including e-commerce transactions.
- It is embedded in other systems such as database servers and web servers.
- It is simply extendible as it supports 25,000 open source modules.
- Perl is open-source software licensed under GNU.
- It supports Unicode.
- It supports third-party databases which include MySQL,
- Oracle and many others.
- Python leaning is easy and also it is simple to use
- It is more expressive means that it is more readable and understandable.
- Python can work on various platforms such as Unix, Windows, Macintosh, and Linux.
- Python is an interpreted language.
- Graphical user interfaces(GUI) generate by using Python.
- It supports object-oriented language. Concepts of objects and classes come into existence.
- Python can easily integrate with languages like JAVA, C++, C, etc.
- Python has a broad library. And gives a rich set of functions and modules for rapid application development.
Significance Differences Between Python vs Perl
Both Python and Perl have many similarities but still, after having several similarities. Both Python and Perl have some differences as well. Below we have discussed some of the key difference:
1. Python is named after popular artist “Monty Python” on the other hand Perl. Although, we can say “Practical Extraction and Report Language”. But it is not official.
2. Perl recognizes for processing text which assists in reporting. While Python is now a general-purpose language and currently practice in several fields.
3. By Larry Wall Perl was developed in 1987 on the other hand Python by Guido van Rossum in 1989.
4.Python: First of all there is only one way to do get things done. But if there is another way too then it will substitute the current.
To print a message in Python 2.0 command is as:
Print “Hello text message from Python 2.0”
But when they added Python 3.0 then the identical thing can perform as
Print(“Hello tex message from Python 3.0”)
Perl: If there is a different method to do the thing then include it also i.e. In fact, not to substitute existing but to add a new way as well. For example: See the process to write if statement in the comparison section.
Comparison between Perl vs Python
|Introduction||Perl is a high level interpreted, general-purpose and dynamic programming language. But some of the successful Perl projects are Bugzilla and CPanel. |
Also, it was first developed for text processing like obtaining the necessary data from a designated text file. And for changing the text file into a distinct form.
|Python is a generally used high-level, general-purpose programming language. Because of its rich support and library. Even, it has wide applications in Desktop Applications, Machine Learning, Web development, etc.|
|File Extension||To save Perl Scripts the .pl file extension is used. For example document.pl||To save Python Scripts the .py file extension is used. Example: myFile.py|
|Whitespaces||It does not care about whitespaces.||If whitespaces are not according to Python. Then it deals with whitespaces and shows syntax error.|
|Learning||Compare to Python, it is a bit hard to learn.||Python learning is easy|
|Focus||Perl emphasizes support for simple tasks such as file scanning and report generation.||Similarly, Python emphasizes support for basic methodologies. Such as data structure design and object-oriented programming.|
|Datatypes ||Some data types held by Perl are Scalars, numeric, string, Hashes, and Arrays.||But, some data types included by Python are dictionaries, numeric, strings, tuples, and lists.|
|Statement Blocks||To mark the statement blocks Perl uses braces.||In the same way, to mark the statement blocks Python uses indentations.|
|Statement End||Although, in Perl, all statements should end with a semicolon||It is not required statements end with a semicolon in Python as it deals with whitespaces.|
|Regular Expression||Part of the language which makes processing text short and easy.||Likewise, require to deal with methods and functions for regex|
|Comment||The statement began with # will be recognized as a comment. # This is an Inline comment in Perl for documentation in Perl we use= and =cutFor example:=. This is a comment for Perl but it can also be used as documentation also=cut||However, “#” This is an inline comment in Python. Three inverted commas are also can be used as documentation or comment. “This is for python and can be used in documentation as well as in comment “””.|
To this end, as you have seen above we have given some of the significant differences between Perl vs Python. Both Python and Perl are good in their regard as per the applications they target. Python is a bit better over Perl as a first option for a beginner due to its easy and clean to understand code.
On the other hand, Perl exceeds Python when it comes to string manipulation operations. Also, I hope the given pieces of information are enough for you to decide. To illustrate, Which one is better for you to learn first. We have also given some of the features and where both programming languages can be implemented.
As a result, Our Computer Science Homework Help and Computer Science Assignment Help experts are available to provide you the best Programming Assignment Help. On the other hand, if you want to get Perl Assignment Help, Python Homework Help, Python Programming Help, and Python Assignment Help hire us now.